***

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Goldfields

I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by loving.
Anaïs Nin, French writer

Well, I have been busy adding to the first blog trying to get all the background information in but have decided that I want to get on with the day to day journal of where I am now. So my partner and I are in Arizona staying with my sister and brother in law recuperating between treatments in Germany. The house is on 5 acres in the desert surrounded by the wonderful desert flora and fauna, of which there is a surprising abundance. A huge variety of birds from hummingbirds to vultures, many reptiles including rattlesnakes and a lovely little pair of Antelope Squirrels visits the bird feeder on a daily basis.

This morning we went for a walk along a trail in the wash below the house. This is my third daily walk as my energy levels have finally started to improve. We walk a little further each day and managed an hour this morning. The weather has been kind with the temperature dropping to a mere 80F-90F (26C-32C). Don't think we would be able to walk that long if it was really hot.

Managed to climb up a small hill this morning. Got very out of breath but it was certainly worth it with amazing panoramic views of the mountains in every direction with the wonderful Saguaro cactii and other lovely flora in the foreground.

The cooler weather seems to have reduced the number of vultures soaring overhead. Guess there are fewer deaths when it is not so hot. The vultures are amazingly beautiful up in the sky, they are very good at soaring and hardly ever flap their wings, very graceful, a bit of a contrast to a close up view of them.

I am very tired from the walk but feel good to have done it. I have been worried about my lack of exercise. These days it is well known and documented that daily moderate exercise improves outcomes for cancer patients considerably. Also increases white cell count and gets the metabolism going so hopefully will not feel so tired and will get me in good shape for treatment in Germany in August.

Mentally and emotionally I am going ok at the moment. Went into a bit of a slump a few weeks ago due to the unrelenting exhaustion and discomfort at the surgery sites. Generally I had been staying very positive and kept my sense of humour most of the time. Just the odd grumpiness.

I am down to 61 tablets of supplements a day (was on 75 at the beginning of the year), having a couple of vegetable juices a day and plenty of fresh fruit. Probably be good to increase the amount of vegetables a day.

My surgical wounds are a bit slow to improve. Massaging in glycerin twice daily and Scarless Healer once daily. Doing stretches at least 3 times a day as well to try and stop the contracture and allow a good range of movement for the future. Overall am happy to have had the mastectomies.

Last week gave myself three lots of intravenous treatments and today am due for intravenous vitamin C and subcutaneous Thymoject to build immunity. My background as a ,as well as the port, is a lifesaver in terms of being able to do the intravenousinjections myself. Saves a lot of time and money.

Went into Fountain Hills yesterday to get some blood test done in preparation for the liver treatment coming up in Frankfurt on 6th August (trans arterial chemo embolisation). Should have the blood result this afternoon so will be curious to see how I am going with my white and red blood cell counts as well as liver and kidney function after all the chemo. My body was handling it pretty well at the time so I am fairly confident all will be well.

The plan is to survive and thrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment