***

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Post Removab




 


Behold the turtle. 
She only makes progress 
when she sticks her neck out.

~ James Bryant Conant









The weather has been cold with occasional rain.  Temperature some days hasn't got above 5C, best day it was 12C.  We have had some sunshine and the weather is set to improve later this week.  The good thing about the cold is that I get to wear a beany on my ever balding head.  For those who have seen the Lord of the Rings movies I am starting to look like Gollum only not as pretty.

As you can see from the photo the gardens are looking lovely and there are quite a few unidentified birds flitting around.  In the garden outside our apartment there are a couple of birdboxes with some little birds nesting.  They look a little bit like sparrows but the two pairs are slightly different. We also saw a couple of pretty little blue birds with white and a black collar.  Lots of other birds but need binoculars to get a good look and we did not bring any.


Some more people arrived at the clinic today which was nice.  An Australian from Canberra and an American from Florida, so nice to have some more people to chat to.  The Australian has the same oncologist as me even though she is in Canberra.

After the last blog entry I went a bit downhill with nausea and pain and generally feeling awful but after some drug adjustments I have been feeling better again since yesterday midday and even managed some lunch at the clinic (first solid food other than toast since the Removab) and some soup for dinner.  Still had pain issues during the night so will adjust analgesics again and of course now have constipation issues due to the anti nausea and analgesic drug increases so need other drugs for that.


There has been a monumental communications breakdown from the clinic regarding my treatment so am angry and very disappointed with that.  I had blood taken today to send to Greece and need to come back for a day in six weeks to get an infusion then.  Probably my best option will be to shorten the Amsterdam stay by one day and fly to Stuttgart, have the treatment, stay the night, fly back to Amsterdam the next day.  I feel disappointed to shorten an already short stay in Amsterdam but I just have to let go of my anger at their bad communication and poor case management and move forward and concentrate on the positive of the actual treatment.

The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow and if I feel as well as today I hope to go for a little walk in the forest next to the clinic in the afternoon.  Removab again the day after so will be lying low again then for a few days.




Surviving and thriving
Linda

1 comment:

  1. Dear Linda
    I understand your burst of anger, it happens to all of us...
    Removab sounds quite nasty, but hopefully does the job properly. Let's hope for the best possible outcome!
    Btw, I'm on my last cycle of abraxane now, and feeling very similar to how you felt. Regardless, I know all will be well.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and good luck with better communication xxx
    Tina

    ReplyDelete